UK Chat Rooms can be a safe place to have fun chatting with friends, if you just remember a few important things.
People on the Internet are not necessarily who they say they are.
1. Choose a Username that's not sexually suggestive and doesn't give away your real name.
2. People may lie about their identity. Be careful of interactions with strangers. Do not engage in any conversations or activities that make you uncomfortable.
3. NEVER, under any circumstances, agree to meet someone in real life that you have met online. If you do always meet in a safe public place.
4. Never arrange to meet at your own home or give out personal details until you feel safe.
5. Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.
6. Make sure you know how you are getting home - and are not relying on person you meet to facilitate this.
7. There is nothing wrong with scheduling an end time for your meet in advance. You can always go on a second meet up! An ideal way to end a date from a safety perspective is to have a trusted friend come and pick you up.
8. Trust your instincts - don`t continue if it doesn`t seem right.
9. Don't drink too much - stay in control.
10. Engaging in or soliciting sexual relations with a minor, no matter how old they claim to be, is a serious crime. If you engage in sexual conversations or relations with a minor,you can be prosecuted, convicted, and sent to prison.
11. Cyberbullying is wrong and potentially criminal. While in some cases, you can be prosecuted. Don't do it.
12. Don't be fooled by anybody who sends you a PM(s) message trying to get your personal details such as email address, home address, phone numbers etc...
13. You must exercise caution when deciding what personal information you wish to be publicly viewable on the Internet. Anybody may be able download your pictures from your profile. We will not be held responsible for any misuse of your personal information, pictures by another person.
14. Anything you post may be publicly available for anybody to see. Don't post something you don't want your family, friends or co-workers to see as you may not be able to remove it.
15. If someone says or does something creepy - ignore / block them and don't respond.
You use our free online chat rooms at entirely your own risk. It is a known risk of internet usage that people are not necessarily who they say they are. people may provide information or behave in a way that is unreliable, misleading, unlawful or illegal. UKChatter has no way of telling if statements made by visitors are true. This is a decision that can only be made at your discretion and the exercise of some degree of caution is recommended.
Please remember that chat room safety starts with you.